Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Date format

Wullie's profile picture

09 August 2011, 5:26

Hi,

I see when adding information (like DOB), that the date format is YYYY/MM/DD.

I found that the lang string for this is specified in <wwwroot>/lang/mahara.php, which I could change to the standard UK format of DD/MM/YYYY, but want to know if this would impact elsewhere (bascially where is this picked up in the code and translated to viewable dates).

If anyone can give me guidance on this, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

09 August 2011, 6:10

Hi Wullie,

Thanks for pointing that out -- I'd not noticed that one.

Are you based in the UK? I've released a language pack for the UK which primarily changes Resume to CV, but it should also do this date conversion (it doesn't at present). The language packs are all available at http://langpacks.mahara.org/.

That's the display date, so it's also tied in to the form which handles parsing of the date. Otherwise if you put a date of 01/02/2003 in, then mahara will try and parse that date in the format YYYY/MM/DD and things could get fruity. I'll double check how this works and what consequences it could have, and update the language pack. I'll update this forum post when I'm done.

Andrew

Wullie's profile picture

09 August 2011, 7:49

I am in the UK (in the Scottish Borders) and didn't know about the language pack (but changed the required files for Resume to CV before).

Think I'll use your language pack though to make sure everything is covered.

Cheers

Account deleted

11 August 2011, 11:21

I've reported it as a bug at https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/824638

I know how to fix, but am waiting for some thoughts from other developers before committing a change.

Unfortunately though, this change won't actually make it to mahara until the next release - and maybe even the next major release (1.5.0). If this is the case, you should be able to make the change locally and it will survive the upgrade when it does become available.

Feel free to subscribe to the bug and say that it affects you. This way you'll receive updates about changes, and are voting to say that you want it fixed,

Andrew

Wullie's profile picture

12 August 2011, 3:11

Thanks Andrew, I've subscribed myself to the bug.

I take it you will post any 'quick fix' in there, or can you let me know what this will be in the meantime (once getting other thoughts).

Thanks

Account deleted

10 July 2012, 14:07

Hi!

Doing some Mahara training today, there was a call for the dates to be 'rearranged' to show a more familiar layout.

I've looked at the bug report and can see it's been implemented, but our site still shows the date as 2012/07/10 (YYYY/MM/DD) whereas we'd prefer DD/MM/YYYY.

How do I change this?

Thanks!

6 results