Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Shared Server Install Issue

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

29 April 2011, 15:54

Hello All,

Earlier,  I tried to install Mahara on a siteground.com shared server account. I ran into a number of problems that appeared to relate to timeouts and my ability to update the php.ini and httpd.conf files on the server.

I ended up installing (successfully after several tries!) mahara on a xampp setup installed on a USB drive ( using PortableApps .... which was fun to learn about) . I ran into the same time-out issues but was able to increase the settings as suggested in the forum. ( it took about 10 minutes to install). At least now I know what the install process should look like when it works

Anyway, I wondering if I can now zip this installation and upload it into my shared-hosted site, then unzip.

I imagine there will be some hard coding that needs to be changed, paths, database names, and a lot of other things I've probably not thought of yet.

Do anyone have an opinion on this before I start spending way  too much time on it?

Does this approach seem reasonable?

I can run large apps like Moodle, WordPress and Joomla on the site, the Mahara problem did not seem to be capacity ..... just the silly timeout thing.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Glenn Smile

1 result