Forums | Mahara Community

Mobile Mahara /
Bit of mobile in 1.4 ?

25 April 2011, 15:52

Translating strings tonight for version 1.4 in French, I noticed a new feature about downloading files to Mahara from a cellular phone.

How does it work? Does it already work in the beta?

-dajan

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

25 April 2011, 17:29

Hi Dominique,

I think you are refering to http://code.google.com/p/maharadroid/ (there is a description of how it works and also a YouTube video that shows briefly of what you need to do in Mahara to activate it).

It works not just in beta. Smile

Cheers

Kristina

26 April 2011, 3:47

Maybe it was the maharadroid.

I am refering to the following strings

$string['allowmobileuploads'] = 'Allow Mobile Uploads';
$string['allowmobileuploadsdescription'] = 'If enabled users will have the option of setting an authentication token - content uploaded with this token will be saved as artefacts.';

in admin.php

and

account.php:74: $string['mobileuploadtoken'] = 'Mobile upload token';
account.php:75: $string['mobileuploadtokendescription'] = 'Enter a token here and on your phone to enable uploads (note: it will change automatically after each upload. <br/>If you have any problems - simply reset it here and on your phone.';

in account.php

Is it something specialy designed for Android or is there and API to develop solution for other cells phone. Ist es meine Frage.

Tschüss

-dajan

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

26 April 2011, 5:01

Hello Dominique,

Yes, these strings are specific to MaharaDroid.

Currently, there is no mobile API to my knowledge. Alan McNatty, a collague of mine and the developer of MaharaDroid, created the software as proof of concept. A future step will be to create a mobile API for Mahara so that it will be easier to develop mobile apps not just for Android but also the iPhone etc.

If you are interested in that work or know of somebody who would be interested in (co-)funding such a feature, please let me know.

Cheers

Kristina

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

05 September 2011, 19:48

Hi Kristina,

That's not true actually (in a good way ;).

There is a mobile upload API - it is an HTTP(s) POST handler mahara/htdocs/artefact/file/mobileupload.php. Hopefully this will be extended to use (perhaps optionally) Outh for authentication and support a wider range of activities in future.

The mobile upload API is simple, generic and lightweight. Some documentation can be found here http://code.google.com/p/maharadroid/wiki/MaharaUploadAPI .. perhaps I should move this to mahara wiki somewhere since it is most relevant to Mahara not the client.

Note also the mobile API could easily be used to to make alternative versions of MaharaDroid for Blackberry/iPhone etc or even use it to create a lightweight mobile web upload form, etc. My experience is with Android only hence my efforts are in this area. An alternative would be to look to use http://www.appcelerator.com/

Cheers,

Alan

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

08 November 2011, 3:21

Alan

It's worth noting that based on my own experiements, you can't get Safari on the iPhone to automatically allow you to Browse the photos on the device - this is the main reason I have the facebook app installed, purely for uploading and tagging photos, as their mobile web version is fine for everything else.

I had my staff review yesterday and am going to come back to the mobile uploads thing, especially my idea earlier of initially coming up with a minisite version for mobile web.

Dave

6 results