Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Help needed with reCaptcha implementation

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

10 April 2011, 23:40

So I'm trying to reCaptcha implemented in the register page. I've set the script up with the public and private keys for the recaptcha and added the field to the form but when the form is submitted the HTML for the recaptcha box is passed through rather than the values entered into the recaptcha_response_field. 

Basically what I've got is:

'recaptcha_response_field' => array(

'type' => 'html',

'title' => 'Recaptcha',    

'value' => recaptcha_get_html($publickey))

Which is clearly the wrong way to go about it. I'm not sure how to get the recaptcha_response_field to pass its value through to the pieform.

Has anybody had any success with getting recaptcha working on the register form ?

Cheers.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

11 April 2011, 3:12

Hello Tim,

You may want to take a look at Mahar 1.2. Captcha support was available there. It was taken out for 1.3 as it is not really a deterrent for spammers anymore and is highly unfair to users who have difficulty deciphering captchas. From a usability standpoint, they should be avoided.

Instead of using captcha, Mahara switches fields so that automatic scripts have more difficulty registering accounts, and the spam filters have been improved.

A case in point: A few months ago (and now very infrequently) there was a wave of spammers going through Mahara sites that had open registration, registering accounts and creating public pages which link to the pages for which they want to improve the search ranking. There were mainly 6 spammers at work across all the sites that had popped up in my Google alerts. So which sites were affected: Mahara 1.2 with captcha support or Mahara 1.3 without? Both and I would say actually more 1.2 sites than 1.3 sites. The captcha did not hold the spammers back.

Cheers

Kristina

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

11 April 2011, 18:46

I understand, however I still need to implement a reCaptcha on the site. Its part of the requirements of the solution I am developing. 

Is there no way to plug a reCaptcha into the registration form ?

Ruslan Kabalin's profile picture

12 April 2011, 3:45

Certainly there is a way of doing that, but you need someone with good php skills and reCaptcha understanding to design a plugin for that. Laughing

Ruslan Kabalin's profile picture

12 April 2011, 3:41

It would be more correct to say that in 1.3 captcha has not been simply removed. It has been replaced with an alternative solution based on dynamic random fields name generation, which made possible to make registration easier for human user (i.e. no captcha) and nearly impossible for robots Wink

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

12 April 2011, 4:36

Hi Ruslan,

Nicely put. Smile

Cheers

Kristina

6 results