Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Profiles vs Portfolio Views and Walls

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

06 April 2011, 8:05

Hi

We would like to email a hyperlink of one of our tutor's profiles to students. I know how to add a secret URL for a portfolio view and can email this out, but not sure about doing the equivalent for a profile. Is this possible and if so can you please let me know how to do this. 

Alternatively we can set up a portfolio view with the equivalent information held on a profile and email a hyperlink to this to the students, however the problem is getting the wall to display on a portfolio view. I don't seem to be able to find a tool for this.

Any advice on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Elaine

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

06 April 2011, 14:59

Hello Elaine,

Every profile view has its own URL. Thus, when you are on the profile page of your tutor, you can grab the URL and email that to your students. Depending on whether that profile is publicly available or not, students may have to log in to see the view. Smile

You can see how we linked to profile views on http://wiki.mahara.org/Contributors All links there go to profile views.

Alternatively, your students can also search for the tutor's name in the "Search Users" search box if they don't have the link handy.

If all your students are in a group, you could also create a view with all the important information on it that would then also include a link to the tutor's profile view.

If all your students are on Mahara, you do not have to use secret URLs, but you can give access to views to the students directly. If you have them all in one group you would only have to choose this group and not every student individually.

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

07 April 2011, 4:41

Hi Kristina

Thanks for that. I have now got the URL for the profile which we have emailed out to students. Students will need to log into Mahara first, but that is not negative as hopefully this will encourage those who have not logged on as yet to engage.

Many thanks

Elaine

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

07 April 2011, 13:41

Hello Elaine,

If you allow public portfolios on your web site, the tutor could make their profile view publicly available. Then there would be no need for students to log in to see the profile. However, then anybody can see the profile as well.

If you want to encourage students logging in, you can keep your current setting. I you want to make it as simple as possible and if the login process were considered a stumbling block, your tutor could make their profile public.

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

11 April 2011, 10:26

Hi Kristina

Many thanks for this alternate suggestion. At this stage I think we will keep it private and encourage the students to get logged in.   But it is good to know that this option does exist.

Regards

Elaine

5 results