Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Install smooth but no emails

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

04 March 2009, 17:59

Hi. Installation instructions were clear and I got everything going, except email.  What mechanism is sending it out?  There doesn't seem to be any place to configure my email server, etc.

Jamie

Account deleted

04 March 2009, 20:18

Hi - if you're not seeing any e-mail being sent, you may want to check your mail server log for reasons - normally PHP can just send e-mail without issue.

But if you need to use an smtp server to send mail, have a look in config-defaults.php for the settings required -copy them to config.php and change them as appropriate.

Account deleted

04 March 2009, 20:54

Hi Nigel,

Yes, it is smtp that I use, so I will look in that file and set it up. 

Thanks,

Jamie

Account deleted

08 March 2009, 16:24

Hi Nigel,

I now have got the smtp configured correctly and the CRON job configured correctly - I got a bit fouled up with changing one then the other, till I finally got both working correctly at the same time.

So I now get emails to my admin's email address for contact us, BUT the emails for registration never get to the new user's email address.  It appears that they register.   I see them in the usr_registration table OK.

Any tips on debugging?

Thanks, Jamie

Account deleted

08 March 2009, 16:39

Hi. An update. I deleted the entries that were stacked up in the usr_registration.  I was just able to register a new user using a completely untried email address. Email came right to me. 

However, I also tried using one of my test email addresses I used previously (and had deleted above). However, it flags that email as having been used before, and will not process teh form.  Is there another place I need to clear to reset a user's registration email, if they fail?

Thanks!

Account deleted

09 March 2009, 0:36

That seems to suggest you already had a user who had that e-mail address.. check the email column of the usr table, and also check the artefact_internal_profile_email to see if it's listed in there?
Account deleted

09 March 2009, 13:09

Hi Nigel,

It was listed in artefact_internal_profile_email, so I deleted it.  I ahve tried again with that hotmail address, and again, nothing comes thru.  I can register under other email addresses with no problem.  Weird.  I can see the record of the new user in the usr_registration but no email appears sent out.  I will try one more thing, before I leave this minor issue (using that email address is only a test for me).

I will add a user from the admin account, using that email adddress, then delete the user from there. Then I will try to  register again from outside using that email.

I suspect that whatever happened, happened when I was trying to test register before I actually had the smtp configured correctly. Wonder if that makes sense?

UPDATE - I did the above, creating a new user with that same hotmail address using the admin interface, then deleted him from the admin interface.  I searched around all the postegres tables, and see no trace except that there is a .deleted record in the usr table. The I tried registering an additional user using that same email. Goes thru the motions, but there is no email.  I have searched all over for any junk filters or anything - all looks good + it is able to get emails at that address from my SMTP server. Oh well...

Not sure what to make of it, but since is appears non-critical I will move on for now.  If I have time I will try to recreate the problem using a different hotmail account, just in case it is a real problem. 

Thanks,

Jamie

Account deleted

09 March 2009, 15:22

Hi - Hotmail, you say? Hotmail are one of the few email providers who do SPF, which might be causing your e-mails to be rejected by the hotmail server. The way to find this out is to look in your MTA's error log (/var/log/exim4/mainlog for exim), and see if there are any error messages to do with mail being sent.
8 results