Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
"Debugging" Leap2A files

Scott Gage's profile picture

22 March 2011, 18:31

Hi All,

I've currently got two users who would like their information imported into Mahara via Leap2A files - one from FolioSpaces, and one from PebblePad.

While the FolioSpaces import works for the most part, the Views are not coming through correctly, and in the user's blogs the views are listed but they link back to FolioSpaces. We're working through that with FolioSpace's help.

The real head scratcher is the PebblePad import. The user in question was a big proponent of ePortfolio work here at the University so her export file is huge. I've imported the zip file twice, and while I receive no error messages it clearly does not work at all - no user is created.

Are there any tips or obvious things I could look at to debug the Leap2A file? It's quite large, so going through it line by line is difficult. I've checked the wiki but the example they use doesn't really apply here.

Here's the file: http://mahara.org/artefact/file/download.php?file=131774

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Scott

22 March 2011, 23:02

From an initial look at the code, it appears to be using an older version of Leap2A - it uses leap rather than leap2 tags, and links to http://wiki.cetis.ac.uk/2009-03/LEAP2A_predicates#.

Could this be the issue? The Leap2A files I have from FolioSpaces have leap2 tags and links to http://terms.leapspecs.org/.

steve P's profile picture

22 March 2011, 23:45

Hi Scott, I can't help much with the PebblePad imports, but I should be able to assist with the FS imports. I've been in email contact with Anne from your institution, and from a screenshot she sent me I can see that her FS views and some other content has ended up in her Blogs. Mahara will put content into blogs if it doesn't know what else to do with it; this should definitely not be happening with exported views from one Mahara install to another, and this has obviously caused Anne some confusion.

Can I just check: are you importing into a latest stable Mahara on MySQL? I ask this as I understand you guys were working on an Oracle implementation. I have exported Anne's ePortfolio from FS and successfully imported into another Mahara install, so my initial guess is that there is some configuration issue at your end...

23 March 2011, 0:48

Hi Steve,

Glad to hear from you - it's an odd issue with the FolioSpaces import :)

We're running Mahara 1.3.3 with a Postgres database. I'm not sure of the version number of the database, but I'll pester the DBAs and let you know if that's relevant.

23 March 2011, 19:27

I think you were on the right track, Scott. We may need to wait until we're both on 1.3.4 before this is easily resolved? Bug #673434 leap2a exports fail to import properly:

https://launchpad.net/mahara/+milestone/1.3.4

François Marier's profile picture

23 March 2011, 20:52

We're hoping to release 1.3.4 tomorrow, so the wait shouldn't be too long :)

Cheers,

Francois

23 March 2011, 21:10

That sounds like the solution to me! Thanks for your help, guys.

24 March 2011, 21:39

Back on the PebblePad Leap2A file, I created a (much smaller) PebblePad export for myself to test things out. This didn't work in a different fashion: it said the zip file didn't contain a Leap2A file. However, once I unzipped the Leap2A file and uploaded that by itself hooray - it worked!

So I eagerly tried the same with the Leap2A file posted earlier. Now, it may be due to it's size but when I try to upload it by iteslf I get the following message:

A nonrecoverable error occured. This probably means you have encountered a bug in the system
I'll try to upload my edited version (with Leap2 tags rather than Leap) but beyond that I'll have to start hacking out parts in case they're causing issues.

03 April 2011, 18:41

FolioSpaces is now running 1.3.5, so you might want to try the export and import again now...

03 April 2011, 19:51

Cheers Steve - to save Anne having to mess about I actually implemented 1.3.5 on my local machine and redid her import/export for her. Strangely all the dates in the Leap2A file were nothing but ":", but that could simply be an issue with my local copy. The new export file appears to work fine with 1.3.3.

Regarding the PebblePad import, I finally got it working. Here's the brief overview:

Using a very handy Leap2A Validator, I found that the original Leap2A file would actually fail rendering altogether. After making multiple attempts to edit out the issues with the PP Leap2A file, I could get it to the point where the validator was working.

However, the errors were still happening when trying to upload the file. I asked the user (since there was a time pressure) to re-export with only the files they needed by the deadline. With this new, slimmer Leap2A file, I was able to find what lines were causing the errors, they were:

<leap:spatial localschemes:label="Home">
<leap:spatial localschemes:label="Other1">

In the address area. The validator did not recognise these tags at all. While the information inside these tags may have been recognised, I erred on the side of caution and removed the lot.

The other issue was multiple url links of the following form:

<link localschemes:description="UniSA has 7 Graduate Qualities outlined in this link" title="Graduate Qualities at UniSA" href="http://www.unisa.edu.au/gradquals/default.asp" />

These would all be marked as Unexpected attribute localschemes:description...

Removing all those links allowed me to finally get the PebblePad Leap2A to work.

15 results