Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Group ownership

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

03 March 2009, 5:53

Hi

We are about to come across a rather strange situation as follows:

Running Mahoodle successfully with pilot  groups totalling about 1200 students and four tutors.  Each tutor has around 10/15 groups (which they created themselves).  However, one of the tutors is about to leave employment in the college.  My question therefore is what do/can we do about her groups?  We can add a new tutor but if we delete her, will her groups be deleted too? Or would ot be better for the groups to be re-created by the new tutor?  Shouldan admin have created all the groups in the first place?

Your thoughts/ideas are appreciated

Karen

Account deleted

03 March 2009, 6:39

Hi - the behaviour is different in Mahara 1.0 compared with 1.1 - which version are you running?

In 1.0, if a user is deleted, their groups are deleted too - which isn't the best strategy I admit Undecided

In 1.1, groups can have more than one group admin. So when the user is deleted, the groups will end up with no group admin. There's no way in the system to make new admins in such groups once the last admin leaves currently - there is a bug report about this. But if the tutor adds someone else as a group admin in those groups before they go, then when they're deleted the other person will continue on as group admin.

So maybe your solution is to upgrade to 1.1 (if you're not using it already), and add more admins into these groups Smile

Account deleted

03 March 2009, 7:36

Hi Nigel

I figured as much - we're still running 1.0 so yes, looks like an upgrade will solve this issue - are there no group owners then in 1.1, just group admins?

Thanks for the quick reply

Karen

Heinz Krettek's profile picture

03 March 2009, 8:47

Hi Karen,

the groups have still an owner, the peson who created the group. But he can grant other mebers the roel of an moderator/administrator. Mahaar 1.1 ist a great tool to docollaborative work.

Greetings frmo Germany
Heinz

Account deleted

03 March 2009, 17:20

Multiple Group Admins replace the old concept of one Group Owner. They have the same abilities. The person who creates a group becomes a Group Admin in 1.1.
5 results