Forums | Mahara Community

Open Discussion /
Embed.ly for embedding web content

Gregor Anželj's profile picture

18 March 2011, 3:18

From Embed.ly site:

"Embedly strives to be the go to place for previewing and embedding urls. We offer methods to make it simple to embed content from multiple sources via one API.

At a very basic level Embedly takes a url and provides a visually representation of the content in that page. Think turning a YouTube url into a video or a Flickr url and turning it into an image."

So I've created Embedly blocktype for Mahara and I need you guys to test it.

The blocktype is avaliable here. All you need to do is install it, test it (play with it) and please report back - so I can improve it.

How the blocktype works: User drags it into Mahara view, pase URL of YouTube video, Flickr image, etc. and saves it. The blocktype than displays that video, image, ...

The list of all services (currently there are 205, e.g. Picasa, Flickr, YouTube, TeacherTube, Scribd, Issuu, Nation Geographics, CNN, ...) is avaliable here.

Regards,
Gregor

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

18 March 2011, 4:47

Hello Gregor,

When I click on your link to the link it tells me that I don't have access to view this page,

Do I need to join any group?

Account deleted

18 March 2011, 5:25

Sounds great thanks Gregor, we will certainly test it. The link is currently blocked though, just access I imagine.

Regards, Ian

18 March 2011, 5:38

You should get it, if you login. Anyway, you can get it from here: http://mahara.org/view/view.php?id=35826 - I hope...

Regards,
Gregor

Mary Cooch's profile picture

19 March 2011, 15:30

Hi thereSmile I have just installed this and I like it very much. I will try it with different sites and if I find any issues let you know.

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

21 March 2011, 10:52

This works fantastically on our site. Installed perfectly and tried with 10 or so websites without any issues. Already received positive feedback for teachers. Thanks for this one :)

Geoff Rowland's profile picture

21 March 2011, 15:06

Thanks Gregor for another wonderful contribution to Mahara. Really adds to the 'aggregator' functionality.

In our hands, works for both Mahara 1.2.x and Mahara 1.3.x

Account deleted

20 March 2011, 7:53

embed.ly button comes under 'External Feeds'. It is more appropreate under 'Files, Images and Videos'.

But it seems there are too manu buttons already.

May be we need a tab called multimedia for the top tabs?

21 March 2011, 7:32

That was my main motivation/drive - too many icons, so I've put it under External feeds...

Regards, Gregor

Account deleted

23 March 2011, 5:27

Thanks so much Gregor. We have installed Embedly in Foliospaces and it works perfectly. It is fantastic being able to now drop anything at all in. The only additional feedback I have at  the moment until I play more is that everything is left justified, which is fine, for left hand columns but it looks a little unbalanced in right hand columns.

Regards, Ian

49 results