Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Mahara database - how to move

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

09 December 2010, 2:18

Hello,

I appreciate your help on this urgent matter:

I have Mahara installed on Linux/mysql and all is well on the test server.

I set up a new mahara instance on the live server, also all went well.

Now i need to move Mahara's database from the test server to the live, after we had all the settings approved and lots of work done there ( several portfolios were created, ldap settings, site settings, user accounts...)

When i scp or rsync or mysqldump from /var/lib/mysql/mahara on testserver to the live server, NO DATA is copied! No settings are being moved!

I can see in Mahara db, only .FRM(table structure). I cant see the .MYD ( table data) or the .MYI ( table indexes. So when am running the above commands, all am moving is the table structure.

How can i move the dabase after trying all the above and failing?

Thank you for the help....

amer

steve P's profile picture

12 December 2010, 17:39

Try a web search (eg. Google) for 'mysql backup restore'

A page like this should help you on your way:

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2008/09/backup-and-restore-mysql-database-using-mysqldump/

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

22 December 2010, 6:27

If you are using MySQL then you should take a look at PHP MyAdmin which is a web based admin client for it, comes in very handy, just make sure you secure it properly if you install that though. We lock it to IP address as well as adding the usual login stuff.

It makes administering your databases a lot easier, having facilities to export / import databases.

Regards moving your db, you need to dump the data and possibly do a string replace on your domain name if it has moved from one location to another. By that I mean you would find / replace all instances of your old domain name and replace them with your new domain in the dumped file.

This can cause problems if your new domain name is a different length than the old one, I guess being longer would be more of an issue. For that reason I always use the same number of characters in test domains as live ones.

It should be easy enough to migrate your db though...

3 results