Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Error in installing mahara on my hosting

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

25 November 2010, 18:41

Hi Ya'll! I just want to ask for assistance to the brethren all of my trouble in installing Mahara. I already have hosting and domain for this Mahara namely: mahara.spora-sdh.com. I've created a database mysql and I've made a config.php file with the following details:

$cfg->dbtype   = 'mysql5';
$cfg->dbhost   = 'localhost';
$cfg->dbport   = null;
$cfg->dbname   = 'sporhacom_mahara';
$cfg->dbuser   = 'sporhacom_arya';
$cfg->dbpass   = 'allahuakbar';

I also have to locate and upload the files in the installer Mahara public_html / Mahara. But when I open the address http://mahara.spora-sdh.com there appears the following errors:

Mahara: Site unavailable

Your defined data root directory, /path/to/uploaddir/, is not writable. This means that neither session data, user files nor anything else that needs to be uploaded can be saved on your server. Please make the directory if it does not exist, or give ownership of the directory to the web server user if it does.

My lack of understanding of the error info. For that I asked for help from Mahara masters so that I can install in the domain address. What should I do first? Please help. Thank you.

steve P's profile picture

25 November 2010, 21:57

You need to create another directory (folder) that will contain all the user files etc. Mahara needs this before you can begin the installation. Then you need to specify in config.php where this directory is on your server. In my config.php it's like this:

// This path must be writable by the webserver and outside document root (the
// place where the Mahara files like index.php have been installed).
// Mahara will NOT RUN if this is inside your document root, because
// this is a big security hole.
$cfg->dataroot = '/var/www/maharadata/production/';

Account deleted

04 December 2010, 23:31

thanks for helping. But I'm still confused about all the user files etc it which files? whether all the files like the one in public_html? thanks..

Account deleted

07 January 2011, 10:41

It happens me the same, http://dvlop.com/mahara/index.php

but I've created /home/public_html/mahara/data/ with all permissions 777, anybody can suggest me a solution?

Account deleted

18 February 2011, 5:18

I noticed from your link that the site is still not operational - offers me the "installation" routine.

re: "I've created /home/public_html/mahara/data/ with all permissions 777, anybody can suggest me a solution?"

try /home/public_html/{mahara_data} <- your own data directory name.

the data directory must be *outside* of the main mahara code directory.

5 results