Forums | Mahara Community

Open Discussion /
What after installation

shillo  g's profile picture
Posts: 6

08 November 2010, 2:19 AM

After ages I managed to install the most muddl-headed sodtware in history.

What nexat. I can see the Admin page, but nothing works. Any item you click, it is the same page. No pgaeor box opens. What went wrong?

"Once you have set up your config.php (and apache configuration, if not on shared hosting), you should now be able to navigate to the Mahara installation using your web browser. This will pop up a page stating the conditions of using Mahara, and will ask for agreement."

I never reached this stage.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture
Posts: 3446

09 November 2010, 1:22 PM

Hi Shillo,

I think I already mentioned in an email that we would need to know some more technical details about your server environment in order to get an idea where there might be a problem. Thus, the following are essential:

  • operating system
  • Mahara version
  • MySQL / Postgres
  • PHP version



shillo  g's profile picture
Posts: 6

10 November 2010, 11:23 AM

Thanks for the reply,.


Setting at my server:

MySQL version 5.0.91-community
Path to sendmail /usr/sbin/sendmail
Apache version 2.2.16
PHP version 5.2.14

Mahara version: 1.3.3


I reinstalled the whole thing and configured as per your instruction.
the Url is .
The 'htdocs' are in /kontakt.
Nothing happened then.

When I type, this is what I see:

Index of /kontakt

It doesn't show htdocs.



shillo  g's profile picture
Posts: 6

10 November 2010, 11:27 AM

Most fatally, I don't get any error messages, which unusual during installation :)

shillo  g's profile picture
Posts: 6

11 November 2010, 10:57 PM

Kindly bear with my hurry, but I have been waiting for a solution for days :)

shillo  g's profile picture
Posts: 6

12 November 2010, 5:37 AM

I changed the version to 1.3.2 with the same result.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture
Posts: 3446

14 November 2010, 1:17 PM

Hi Shillo,

According to the installation guide at :

  • Copy the entire directory, then rename it to something like 'mahara' - so you will see your site at;
    --> I guess, in your case you'd have to rename the folder to "kontakt" to appear there
  • Copy the contents of the htdocs/ directory to the top level public directory (often called htdocs or public_html) of your webserver, so you can see your site at
    --> Don't leave the files in the htdocs folder

Did you also check that you set your access rights?

As I am not entirely at home troubleshooting an installation (the ones I did in XAMPP works like a charm), I can't help you more at this stage. You could provide a step-by-step walkthrough of what you did (could also be a video if that's easier) unless somebody else has an idea of what might have gone wrong in your installation.



15 January 2011, 7:58 AM

I'm wondering if you ever got this working.  I had the same problem.  I had a few problems I had to correct, one being that when I created the database I did not set it to unicode.  I found this video which shows how to insure that the database is set correctly:  Even though this is for Moodle and for a setup that used scripts, the information can help you fix the settings on your own database.  I hope this helps.


8 results