Forums | Mahara Community

Pedagogy /
Table

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

20 September 2010, 17:27

Hi Does anyone know how I might push an editable table to a range of students so that they can fill it with data and come back to and edit further. I know I can create one of sorts as a new view but the editing window is too small and I feel it needs a maximize option like noodle.

Account deleted

21 September 2010, 1:24

I think I should expand: my last post was rushed.

I want a number of students - about 200 - to be able to complete a pre-defined, but editable table within mahara. As I understand the only way to do this would be to create a table and offer it as a view which they can copy and use as required. the only snag with this is that when editing the table the editing window is too small to have an overview of the table whilst entering data. This is overcome in moodle by expanding the editor window.

Can anyone think of a different way to accomplish this.

thanks

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

21 September 2010, 3:00

Hi Josh,

Unfortunately, I don't have a ready solution. If it were just the copying of the table, then you could do that in HTML and just paste the code and just provide that one block in a view. However, as students will have to edit the table, they might still have to do a lot of horizontal scrolling. Depending on the amount of text they have to enter, that might definitely be a problem.

There is a bug report relating to that at https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/530656

It would be best if you also expressed your interest there in finding a solution (easiest by clicking on "Does this bug affect you" or by adding a comment outlining your specific problem (pasting from the forum here).

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

21 September 2010, 16:22

Can you achieve this by embedding a Google spredsheet?

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

22 September 2010, 2:07

Hi Paul,

Using an external application is a possibility. However, that would mean that every student would need a Google account. Gregor's GoogleApps block http://mahara.org/view/view.php?id=11634 allows for the embedding of spreadsheets. In order to edit them, however, you'd have to go to Google Docs.

Nevertheless, as far as I understood the question, each student is supposed to have their own table and edit that and not edit a shared table.

Cheers

Kristina

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

21 September 2010, 20:44

Hi John,

this is driving me nuts too as I am looking for the exact same functionality.

Luckily, a little birdy tells me that the editing window can be made bigger very soon ;)...maybe even in as little as a of couple weeks.

Account deleted

01 October 2010, 5:14

I'm looking for similar functionality and about to post a request for ideas.

But can those of you who've tried 'pushing' a table to students for them to fill in by adding a table to a copiable view let me know if you've had this problem:...

When I go back to the text block to edit the table (not only is the edit box tiny - I'm watching the bug tracker with interest on this one!) but I also find it almost impossible to delete and replace any text that's already been added.  The only way I can do this is to go into the html behind to edit the text - something that the majority of our students are not going to be technically capable of doing!

Is this a bug at our end or do other users have the same issue?Should I be approaching this in a different way?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Vic

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

01 October 2010, 7:00

Hello Vic,

have a look at the patch Richard wrote for us. It takes care of the textbox editor being too small issue. Its at the bottom of this thread:  http://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=1574  You can see it on a production environment at www.foliospaces.com

As for the deleting text problem: I believe it could be a bug in the wysiwyg editor. My workaround: When in editing mode, add one character (anything) anywhere and then you can delete as much or as little as you like.

Account deleted

22 October 2010, 3:16

Thanks for posting these locations!coach I can vouch that the Great Salt Lake is fantastic hot spot for shorebirds. In May you can see thousands of shorebirds aggregating on the shores.

9 results