Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Giving access to external assessors

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

30 August 2010, 6:03

Hello,

An interesting question came up today in the MLE Reference list that discusses a lot of edtech questions in regard to New Zealand schools. Currently, there is a lively discussion on e-portfolios and also Mahara.

I would like to repost one message to find out if somebody in the Mahara community has a good idea of how to accomplish this in the future and also to find out if others have the same or similar needs.

Cheers

Kristina

-------------

The original message was posted at http://groups.google.com/group/mle-reference-group/msg/83cb1501c3941590

I only repost the pertinent part to my question.

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 23:04:46 -0700 (PDT)
Local: Mon, Aug 30 2010 6:04 pm
Subject: Re: Mahara on myportfolio.school.nz
Hi,

Kristina – thank you for your clarification of submitting Views to be
marked. A further question - I understand that students can submit a
View to their teacher through a controlled course that then locks
their View until it has been marked and released. But how does it work
if we need to send a student's View to an external assessor who does
not have a login to myportfolio? We can use a secret URL but that
doesn't lock the page. So is there any way of sending a student’s
piece of work through the myportfolio system to someone else for
marking, without the student being able to edit it in the meantime?
Thanks for your help!

Ronja

-----

My reply:

Hello Ronja,

You cannot directly lock a view that receives a secret URL. What you could do is ask the students to submit their views to your course group and then you give the secret URL to your external assessors. Once they have provided their feedback, they would have to let you know so that you can release the views in the group. Unfortunately, that involves you to release the view instead of the assessor, but there is no other way at the moment.

I posted your question to the Mahara community to find out if others also have the need for view submissions to external assessors and how that could be accomplished more elegantly in the future.

Thank you for your question
Kristina

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

30 August 2010, 16:56

It's important to remember that not everything in a submitted view will be uneditable.  Birmingham City University funded some recent work to make sure that submitted blogs and blogposts are properly locked.  Files and folders should be pretty solid too as a result of this.  However, while all submitted artefacts are marked as locked in the database, other artefact plugins don't respect that flag yet, and don't ensure that those artefacts are uneditable.  For example, I think it's still possible to edit resume, profile, plan/task artefacts even if they're in submitted views.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

30 August 2010, 23:16

Thanks for the correction, Richard.

I updated the wiki: http://wiki.mahara.org/User_Guide/2_My_Portfolio/1_My_Views/Submitting_a_View

Kristina

3 results