Forums | Mahara Community

Open Discussion /
Ministry of Education and Mahara

Don Christie's profile picture

29 July 2010, 19:39

Below is the text from a post made by Paul Seiler, of the NZ Ministry of Education, to the MLE Reference Group. The entire thread is available here:

http://groups.google.com/group/mle-reference-group/browse_thread/thread/e044157732166370

The quotes that are of interest (I think) to the Mahara community are in bold:

Nick and Carolyn, I agree that teachers using e-portfolios could work well and am encouraged to see more and more schools doing this.

Aside from what NZTC does any teacher could start on www.myportfolio.school.nz whenever they are ready. Maybe it would spread to other staff and then students of those teachers?

The Ministry is firming up our position around e-portfolios and Mahara/myportfolio in particular. Over the next six months we will:

- fund some usability improvements for the next main release;

- write-up some case studies on NZ schools and tertiary organisations making widespread use of Mahara to contribute to a JISC study;

- draft guidelines for e-portfolio use in school (not specific to any package) and seek input from this community for a shared authoring approach; and

- scope the best way to integrate the main/support school sector LMS (Ultranet, Moodle and KnowledgeNET) with Mahara. A number of you have commented to me, "Why don’t we integrate MyPortfolio with the parent portals?" I hope that by this time next year we will have.

And for those who have not read it I encourage you to check out “E-portfolios – Celebrating Learning” at http://bit.ly/NZeportfolio

So teachers, start your own professional portfolio at www.myportfolio.school.nz and encourage others to do the same.

It is great to hear about this sort of thinking and of course we continue to recognise and be grateful for the active interest in Mahara and funding that the Ministry provides.

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

29 July 2010, 22:41

Wow, congrats guys Cool

2 results