Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Change 'view' to 'page'?

Anna Greenhill's profile picture

05 May 2010, 5:55

Hi all,

Is it possible to change the word 'View' to 'Page' in Mahara? We are looking to take out the word view as it can be a bit confusing for students but we want this to apply throughout all of Mahara. If this is possible, where in the code can you change it?

Thanks for your help,

Anna Holloway
Newman University College

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

05 May 2010, 6:59

Hello Anna,

Yes, it is possible and for that, you need to change the string with the word "view" to "page" in all the Mahara lenguage files.

As I assume that you are using the english standard language package, your language package will be in the directory /lang/en.utf8 . Just find the files that use the string "view-s" (mahara.php is one of them).

Always remember to save your customized language files when you upgrade to a new Mahara version.

Regards

06 May 2010, 4:44

Thanks, Aaricia, That worked fine,

At last year's Mahara conference I seem to remember one of the developers saying that in a future version they were going to change the term View to Page.  Do you recall that?  And do we know approx how far away that is?  We're preparing to roll our Mahara and would prefer to be consistent with the terminology but if the present version will be current for a while we don't want to have custom code changes to think about every time there is a small incremental update.

Many thanks
Bob

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

06 May 2010, 16:28

Hi Bob,

Nothing happened with the plan to change View to Page -- I'm not sure why, I think it might have been unpopular or it might just be that no one got around to it.

But you can avoid the custom code changes by overriding just the individual strings you need in the local/lang directory rather than making an entirely new language pack.

http://wiki.mahara.org/Customising/Language_Strings

R.

4 results