Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Where do contact.php emails get sent to?

steve P's profile picture

22 January 2009, 1:31

Hi,

I'm new to Mahara - just trying to figure out where messages generated by contact.php end up? And how do I change it? All email notifications are working fine on our Mahara site, but I can't find any admin setting or anything in config.php to change where these emails go?

Thanks,

Steve.

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

22 January 2009, 2:12

Hi - they get sent to all the site adminstrators, although site admins can control whether they actually receive them under Settings -> Activity Preferences. There's a dropdown for 'Contact Us'  for admins. It might be set to 'none' for all of your admins maybe?

22 January 2009, 17:59

Hi Nigel, thanks for your reply. The 'Contact Us' messages aren't coming through to either email or to Notifications in the Settings area, and I've tested both. We're on version 1.0.7 (yes, I fixed the config.php to send emails). Our cron is also set to run every minute, and I can get other messages like friend requests etc. to the Notifications area.

Any other clues?

Thanks for a great job with this software, by the way!

Account deleted

22 January 2009, 20:01

Hi Steve, no I can't think of anything off the top of my head Frown. How many admins do you have, and what notification settings do they have? (There's a page to show this in the admin section).

22 January 2009, 22:50

There are two admin accounts - one is set to receive by email, the other by notifications, but neither works.

The only thing I can think of is that our CAPTCHA doesn't work (gd not installed) but the form does submit as long as no text is entered into the captcha field, with the home page displaying 'your message has been sent'. Could this be the problem? And where can I disable CAPTCHA?

Account deleted

23 January 2009, 7:21

If you're getting 'message sent' being displayed, then the message has definitely been sent - I wouldn't think the captcha would cause it not to be sent. The captcha isn't disable-able at the moment.

I'm surprised you managed to install the system without the GD extension - I thought Mahara checked for that and exited if it can't find it.

I think at this stage the best thing you can do is file a bug on the tracker - then at least we have a record of the problem, in case we see it crop up elsewhere. Admin notifications are working  fine on the Mahara's I have, so maybe there's a strange situation that causes the problem.

Account deleted

28 February 2009, 21:22

Hi, I'm very new to Mahara and I want to be able to let people to register on my site so that emails can be send to them. Tell me how to edit config.php to do that
Account deleted

28 February 2009, 22:12

Hi - e-mail sending should just work by default without any issues. But maybe your email sending program on your server is having problems, or maybe your users are getting the messages in their spam folders?

What version of Mahara are you using? And can you check your server to see if there are any error messages in the mail sending log?

Account deleted

28 February 2009, 22:25

I'm using 1.1.1 but I want to know if you don't allow gmail smtp sever because that is what I'm using and I don't have any smtp configure on my server
Account deleted

01 March 2009, 7:50

Mahara doesn't "allow" or "deny" any particular email servers at all. If your PHP setup can't send e-mail, then Mahara won't be able to either.

Mahara does offer some smtp settings you might be able to configure to help it send e-mail though, if you have an SMTP server available. These settings are in config-defaults.php - you can copy them to config.php and change them to suit you:

// mail handling
// if you want mahara to use smtp servers to send mail, enter one or more here
// blank means mahara will use the default PHP method.
// $cfg->smtphosts = 'mail.a.com;mail.b.com';
// If you have specified an smtp server above, and the server requires authentication, 
// enter them here
// $cfg->smtpuser = '';
// $cfg->smtppass = '';

Hope that helps!

18 results