Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Import leap file to same user

Sigi's profile picture

29 April 2010, 17:14

I have successfully exported and imported all my views from one MAHARA instance to my own by creating a new user. Everything worked just fine and perfect ( thank you all for developing this feature!!)  but now I wanted to import another set of views from my other identity, created a 2nd leap file... but there seems no way to import this 2nd set to the same new user I had created before. The only way I could get the stuff to my own MAHARA was creating yet another user... a bit awkward as this adds to my many identities.. will end up not knowing who I am... Any idea how this could be solved? Will I need to wait for the next step in development when we get the import button for users?

Sigi

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

03 May 2010, 7:44

I had a problem with my export, it never got past a certain artifact, so thought the solution might be to export view by view until I found the problem view and/or artifact. Same as you however, on my new install with a new user I could only import one leap exported view at a time. So I went back and deleted artifacts on the original user until I could export all views into one file and import the one file into the new user.

Hope that makes some sense... but if you can export a single view, what is the way you import that view into an existing user?

Sigi's profile picture

03 May 2010, 9:12

Hi Gary,

my problem was not that I couldn't create a LEAP file with all my views and import it to another MAHARA to a new user. This worked flawless. 

My problem is that I have my views on various MAHARA platforms and would like to integrate all of them into one platform. Unfortunately this seems only possible by creating a new user for each import... and I end up with even more virtual identities :-(

Hopefully the developers will read this , hi Penny, Nigel, Richard ;-)  and will come up with some work around...

Cheers

Sigi

Account deleted

03 May 2010, 18:11

I'm afraid I can't see a quick way to fix this at the moment -- it will probably have to wait until we find a bit of time to do the 'merging' of artefacts from a leap file with an existing user's artefacts.

The main obstacle is just that there are some artefacts (mostly resume and profile stuff) that users are only allowed to have one of, so we can't just import everything out of the leap file, we have to handle these artefacts specially and work out whether to overwrite the existing ones with the new ones or just throw the new ones away.

I think we should keep the single-view leap export option though. Mahara can't import them in a nice way, but other systems might still be able to do it.

Account deleted

03 May 2010, 18:16

Actually thinking about this some more, maybe the workaround is to import the leap file as a new user and then copy all the views you need from the new user to the existing user.

So after the import, log in to that new user's account, go to the view access screen for each view, add access for the old user and turn on the 'copying allowed' option.  Then log in as the old user and copy the views one by one on the 'copy a view' page.

Sigi's profile picture

04 May 2010, 1:18

Hi Richard,

you are brilliant.... this is excactly the kind of work around I had been looking for... but obviously didn't think hard enough... so you're not only a good developer but also a practical guy :-)) ... and the good thing about it: it's easy to do even for not very techy savy users. You made my day  :-). Have a great day yourself!

Sigi

Sigi's profile picture

04 May 2010, 7:47

I just performed the work around you suggested by allowing copying and then copy all the views I wanted. It worked fine

BUT: I realized that with the initial import of the exported "All Data"  the files folders had not been included in the export. Is this a bug or does this simply not work? This is very awkward as most of my views contain data from files in the folders..... and I cannot see a way of getting the files folders over to the other Mahara.......... oh dear .. am having quite  a mess now....

Richard, any idea???

Cheers Sigi

Made a screenshot how the empty folder appears in the view:empty folder

Account deleted

04 May 2010, 17:48

Hi Sigi,

Well I guess it's a bug, but I can't reproduce it myself (on 1.2 or master) -- the folders are exported and imported correctly for me.

However looking at this patch I think it's possible this was broken before 1.2.4, so you might want to upgrade if you don't have 1.2.4 yet.

R.

Account deleted

05 July 2010, 10:43

Hi, the import button is disappeared :-( How can i it configure? i have mahara 1.2.4 version!

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

05 July 2010, 16:49

Hi Angila,

Where did the import button disappear? Remember that only a site administrator can import a portfolio that was previously exported in the LEAP2A standard. Individual users can't do that. Therefore, there is no "import" button next to the "export" one in "My Porfolio".

If you want to import a portfolio, you need to go into Site Administration and add a user. There you can choose the LEAP2A file that you want to import and create a new user.

Cheers

Kristina

13 results