Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Resume to CV

Paul Taylor's profile picture

04 March 2010, 6:19

Apologies if this is on another forum.  All google links point to someone being able to change Resume to CV, and it even talks about it in the new book, but I can't find any details about how to do it.  I looked in the /artefact/resume/lang file and changed the lang strings in the artefact.resume.php file, but it broke the site pages.

Is there a way to change My  Resume to My CV?   If so, where and how?

Heinz Krettek's profile picture

04 March 2010, 7:58

Hi Paul,

where do you want to change the strings? in the menu submenu area?

I will look into the files and post an aasnwer here asap.

cheers Heinz

04 March 2010, 8:34

Hi Heinz:

Yes, I think that is enough.  I tried in the lang file I mentioned in the first post, but it went crazy.  I assume there is a system one? 

05 March 2010, 0:56

Morning Paul.

i grepped the German string "Meine Biographie" and added the result here:

artefact/resume/blocktype/entireresume/lang/de.utf8/blocktype.entireresume.php:$string['title'] = 'Meine Biographie';

artefact/resume/lang/de.utf8/artefact.resume.php:$string['myresume'] = 'Meine Biographie';

artefact/resume/lang/de.utf8/artefact.resume.php:$string['backtoresume'] = 'Zurück zu Meine Biographie';

artefact/resume/lang/de.utf8/help/pages/index.html:<h3>Meine Biographie</h3>

artefact/resume/lang/de.utf8/help/pages/index.html:<p>Der Bereich <b>Meine Biographie</b> erlaubt Ihnen

artefact/resume/lang/de.utf8/help/pages/index.html:bereitstellen. Ihr Bereich <b>Meine Biographie</b> ist in 2

It shows you all places where you have to change strngs, included are the helpfile strings

HTH Heinz 

05 March 2010, 4:31

Thanks Heinz, that seems to have worked.  There are a few other instances in the artefact.resume.php, but they are easy to spot.

07 March 2010, 15:21

Hi Paul,

please take care to delete all old files from langpack if you install the new 1.2 stable version.

HTH Heinz 

na li's profile picture

06 September 2016, 19:02

Hi Heinz,

I've changed the string according to your instructions, all the other display names have been changed but the display name of the submenu "resume" didn't change.

We are using Mahara 16.04.3, CentOS7, php5.6

Here's my modifications for the submenu title:

/var/www/html/mahara/artefact/resume/lang/en.utf8/artefact.resume.php

//$string['resume'] = 'Résumé';
$string['resume'] = 'CV/Résumé';

The submenu title didn't change, as the following screen shot shows:

Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 2.56.52 PM.png

Other places have been changed successfully, as the below screenshot shows:

Screen Shot 2016-09-06 at 3.00.53 PM.png

Could you please help with this?

Many thanks.

Best wishes,

Lina

Aaron Wells's profile picture

07 September 2016, 11:06

Hi,

The advice above was posted in 2010. Mahara has gone through several version changes since then! :)

The word "Résumé" is actually present in several language strings in several different files, in Mahara 16.04.3. If you want to replace it everywhere, what you should probably do is this:

1. Download a copy of Mahara 16.04.3 onto your desktop computer, and unzip it.

2. Do a case-insensitive search for the string "résumé" through all files in the Mahara "htdocs" directory. If you're on Linux you might use the "grep" command-line utility to do this. If not, you can use a text editor such as TextWrangler (for Mac) or Scite (for Win/Linux).

This will give you the list of lang strings to change, and the names of the files they're in. Now, rather than changing the original lang files in your Mahara installation, you can place what we call "local lang files" in the /local directory of your Mahara installation, to store your customized strings. That will keep them from getting over-written when you upgrade. See: https://wiki.mahara.org/wiki/Developer_Area/Language_strings#Custom_lang_strings_in_.2Flocal

Cheers,

Aaron

na li's profile picture

14 September 2016, 19:15

Hi Aaron,

Many thanks for your detail explanations. That's really helpful. 

My problem was fixed by clearing the cache of Mahara site.

I followed your instructions in the wiki and successfully cleared the cache. Then my change of the menu name displays correct.

Cached strings

Starting with Mahara 15.10, Mahara caches the navigation menus (which include several translated language strings) into the database. In Mahara 16.10 and up, you can use the "Clear caches" button on the admin screen, or the htdocs/admin/cli/clear_caches.php CLI script, to reset these cached strings.

In Mahara 15.10 and 16.04, the "Clear caches" button is not yet present. As a workaround, you can clear the cache by going to "Administration -> Site Configuration" and clicking the "Save changes" button at the bottom of the page. This will clear the cache whether or not you have actually made any changes. Alternately, you can trigger a cache clearing by bumping the version number in htdocs/local/version.php and running an upgrade.

Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it.

Best wishes,

Lina

Aaron Wells's profile picture

15 September 2016, 11:14

Hi Lina,

I'm glad that worked. It was actually only last week (in response to a question on another forum thread) that I updated that page with the information about the menu cache!

Cheers,

Aaron

10 results