Forums | Mahara Community

Open Discussion /
Servers

Cynds's profile picture

20 February 2010, 0:16

We are going to create a separate server for about 3 hundred video /imagery hungry teenagers. How many terrabytes do you think I will need (approx) for this virtual server. We hope to expand it throughout the whole school which is 1600.We are definitely using Mahara and will buy a separate server for Moodle 3 years down the track

Can anyone help

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

20 February 2010, 5:15

I can only ask why? I guess there are security concerns with teenagers, but video is so intensive. I would be keen just to use the free hosts, Youtube (for Video), Flikr, Photo bucket, etc. Moving down the Gmail/Google Apps for education path would be good as well as each account has a few gig of file storage per student. In Australia.

Cheers, Ian 

Cynds's profile picture

20 February 2010, 18:27

Than ks Ian for the prompt reply. Great I guessed around a few gigs but as the students carried their eportfolio throughout their school life it could possibly get bigger. I had to write a proposal and was hoping to present it to the boss on Monday. Your quick reply was all I needed

Thanx again Cynds

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

21 February 2010, 12:16

My thinking is: If its a teaching resource, my school should host it ourselfs, which we do. If its student video and other media, we encourage the use of free services. We found that the 50 MG that Mahara has by default seem like a good start for at least a couple years. I'd rather teach the kids about proper compression than just provide more space.

A post by Account deleted was deleted

7 results