Forums | Mahara Community

Mahara/Moodle integration /
Adding Mahara to Moodle

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

16 February 2010, 6:44

Hello

We currently run Moodle on a windows server using XAMPP. This is just about to be updated to the latest version 1.9.7+ - This is installed on a Virtual server.

I have been asked to install Mahara and am not sure which is the best way to go. 

Do I install Mahara on a seperate server (again using XAMPP) or do I install it on the same server as the moodle. SSO is a requirement, so I guess the answer is which will be the easiest to configure. 

Thanks in advance

Rob

16 February 2010, 10:19

Hello Robert,

It realy depends on how many users will connect Mahara and Moodle simultaneously. My personal test server runs Mahara and Moodle on the same XAMPP server without any trouble. But for my production server where 1400 students are registered and where we had some bottleneck after 90 concomitent connections, I have chosen to have two different servers to spread the charge.

Our both servers have 4 GB of RAM. Our teacher use a lot of short videos in their Moodle courses and students have to post videos on Mahara too. We also put the two servers on two different virtual areas separated by a switch.

HTH

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

16 February 2010, 12:23

Thanks for the quick response

That helps a great deal thank you. We too have a lot of users and multimedia going on both servers.

The data itself will be on a seperate SAN, but even so, it's the concurrent connections thats worries me - I'll play it safe and go the seperate server route.

Does this have any effect on the SSO between the two servers ? Is it as easy / hard to configure ?

Thanks again

Robert

22 February 2010, 6:59

I will not affect SSO between the two servers. The documentation to implement SSO is given here

http://wiki.mahara.org/@api/deki/files/196/=Mahoodle.pdf

Cheers,

-dajan

4 results