Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Probelms with outside connection

Mike Korn's profile picture

27 January 2010, 22:26

Hello All,

New to Mahara and have encountered a problem that I would like some advice on. When I first started, I mistakenly opened linked Moodle to Mahara using a local IP address that can only be accessed on our campus. When those outside try to get in, the server times out. I realized this after teachers and students started putting in data and adding artifacts.

I would like to know if I have to relink them again with the correct IP and if so, would I lose any existing data if I do so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Mike 

27 January 2010, 23:08

Hi Again,

Perhaps I should clarify further. Initially, I followed the document called "Integrating Mahara with Moodle". When I looged on as the admin in Moodle I messed up on the step when I went to Aministration > Networking > Peers and added my Mahara site. I used the local IP there. When I go back there in Moodle, there is only the options to delete the existing Mahara site or add a new one. 

If I repeat the process and add a new one, will the current data in the Mahara site still be there?

Please let me know.

Thanks again,

Mike

28 January 2010, 10:50

Hi Mike,

Effectively it is possible to delete a mnet from Moodle's front-end but can't edit the ip address. To edit this information you may go through the MySQL tables. The IP is stored in the mdl_mnet_host. What happens if you edit the information here on a copy of this database?

I personally did a change once to change and incorrect IP and it worked for me.

What do think others about that in the forum.

-dajan

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

28 January 2010, 11:46

If you want external access then you'll need an external DNS record (my.site.etc) that is assigned to an external IP address. 

You would then need to negotiate with your network/firewall manager to have that external URL mapped to the internal IP.

Then you'd need to change Mahara's config.php to use "my.site.etc" instead of the current network IP.

Then you would need to start your mnet configuration again from scratch.

Your server hasn't moved, it's still in the same place on your network as it always was the only differences are how traffic is routed to the site.

All this depends on:

• Whether or not I'm fully understanding your issue. 
  • Naming conventions used in your organisation.
  • You buying the network manager some tea and cake.

31 January 2010, 22:43

Hi Gary,

I think you answered my main question. I would assume that simply created a new mnet would be the easiest, but my concern was that data might be lost. 

Do you think I should set up a test box first?

Thanks again,

Mike 

5 results