Forums | Mahara Community

Open Discussion /
Invite to Groups

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

24 January 2010, 14:03

Hi Maharians,

is it possible to invite people to join a certain Group? A lot of our users are asking for a feature like that. 

Can I alter Mahara somehow so that users subscribe to new Forums by default?

thx

Alex

Account deleted

26 January 2010, 6:21

Hello Alex,

I think that the feature that you mention hasn't been implemented yet and I agree that it could be useful, bu also messy, in particular working with a big class of teenagers asking each others to join their groups.It could be a feature that administrators may decide to enable or not.

With regard to your second question, I think that if you enrol your students in a group of controlled membeship, they will receive automatically the notifications of posts sent to the fora in that group.

Regards

Account deleted

29 January 2010, 15:17

Hi Aaricia,

what do you mean by "a group of controlled membership"? I'd like all users to be subscribed to forums of their groups automatically. Is this possible somehow?

Regards Alex

Account deleted

31 January 2010, 17:31

Currently you can invite people to join a group, but only if the group is an "Invite Only" group, and you can currently only invite people one at a time.

The code for inviting people in bulk is actually available already (by Andrew Nicols & Ruslan Kabalin, see http://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=1255), but I haven't had time to merge this into core yet.

Unfortunately new forums seem to have the 'autosubscribe' turned off by default.  We should add an option to groups to change this.

In the meantime you'll have to remind people to manually set autosubscribe to 'yes' in the forum settings every time they create a new forum, or you can change the default yourself (in instance_config_form(), line 35 of htdocs/interaction/forum/lib.php).

4 results