Developers /
Mahara sucessfull installation in Windows 7 x64 - XAMPP

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

22 January 2010, 20:42

The following steps are tested using XAMPP 1.7.3:

1. Download and install  XAMPP

2. Download the latest version of Mahara

3. In the htdocs directory create a folder called Dev and inside a folder called Mahara and extract all the Mahara's files here

4.  The next step is to configureall the variables in the config-dist file of the /htdocs in Mahara's directory. You need tocomplete this file with the values of your installation:

$cfg->dbtype  = 'mysql5';

$cfg->dbhost  = 'localhost';

$cfg->dbport  = null;

$cfg->dbname  = 'mahara';

$cfg->dbuser  = 'root'; // this is usually the default user for the databaseadministrator.

$cfg->dbpass  = 'password'; If you have added a password to your root user, you shouldadd the password here.

You need to configure thepaths for the wwwroot and dataroot directories with the values in yourinstallation. In my case: $cfg->wwwroot = 'http://localhost/mahara/htdocs/'; and$cfg->dataroot = 'D:\\xampp\\htdocs\\mahara';

Leave the rest of theconfig-dist file as it is. Once you have saved the file, rename as “config” 

5. Create Mahara's database in Php My Admin using the following SQL code:

CREATEDATABASE mahara DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8; 

6. Enable curl extension, searching for the word curl in your code editor and locate the following line in php.ini:

;extension=php_curl.dll

If you notice, i have a semi-colon (;) before extension=php_curl.dll 
so all you have to do is to remove that semi-colon and save your php.ini file

7. Restart apache server

Thanks Iarenaza !!!, I Modified you Post 

If I had Mistakes excuse me I'm not an english speaker... 

Account deleted

08 April 2013, 7:41

Help, I'm a bit confused at what to do at step 5.

Have I to make a new folder somewhere and put the line of code in it?

Thanks in advance for help
Gregor Anželj's profile picture

08 April 2013, 7:55

Hi.

For this I use HeidiSQL Portable version all the time (see: http://www.heidisql.com/download.php).

Instructions:

1. Run XAMPP control panel
2. Run MySQL server
3. Run HeidiSQL from the folder you installed/unzipped in (heidisql.exe)
4. On the first window (Settings tab) select the following:
- Network type: TCP/IP
- Hostname/IP: localhost
- User: root
- Password: (leave empty)
- Port: 3306
5. Click "Open" button
6. With right mouse button click on "localhost" in the top of left panel and select "Create new" and then "Database"
7. Enter the following info:
- Name: (the name of your database, I suggest "mahara")
- Character set: (select utf8!)
- Collation: (utf8_general_ci should be selected, if it is not, then select it)
8. Click "OK" button
9. Resume with Mahara web installer (you should also update settings in your config.php file!)

HTH, Gregor

Aaron Wells's profile picture

08 April 2013, 11:03

Hi Kate,

If you mean "CREATE DATABASE mahara DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8;", that's a SQL query. If you connect to your MySQL database (using, for instance, the "mysql" command-line utility) and execute that query, it will create the required database.

Alternately, XAMPP comes with phpMyAdmin, which is a web-based MySQL control panel. You should be able to create the database using that. The important thing for Mahara is to make sure that you create the database using the "utf8" character set.

Cheers,
Aaron

Account deleted

09 April 2013, 0:44

Hi Gregor/Aaron,

Thanks for your quick response.

I had taken a break from this as it was confusing me yesterday.  Today I came back with fresh eyes for another attempt.

I had followed the instructions above in the first post and created the database in phpMyAdmin.  It just wouldn't locate it.  Therefore, I deleted the database and created another one - ran Apache again - success!  I have no idea why it didn't work first time round. 

My next challenge is to link Moodle to Mahara.

Thanks for you support, I really appreciate both of you trying to help a novice.

Kate

Account deleted

09 April 2013, 9:42

Hi,

Have any of you installed Moodle and linked it with Mahara using XAMPP on Windows 7?

I was wondering if I can install Moodle using the same XAMPP if I have made changes to the php.ini to suit the Mahara install?

My instincts tell me that it shouldn't be a problem as Moodle will ignore instructions for Mahara in the XAMPP php.ini or am I completely wrong and I'm heading for disaster?

Kate
Aaron Wells's profile picture

09 April 2013, 10:49

Hi Kate,

There's actually a specific forum about Mahara-Moodle integration, where you may get better responses about that topic: https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/view.php?id=30

Mahara and Moodle's php.ini requirements are compatible, so it should be okay to run them with the same php.ini file, off the same server. In fact, this is what I do on my local development machine, running multiple Mahara instances, and Moodle instances, and occasionally connecting them up to each other, all out of the same web root directory. Laughing

Cheers,
Aaron

7 results