Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
API

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

10 January 2010, 20:22

Hello everyone,

I have searched mahara.org for some information regarding API. I found some information on the export API but, nothing else that may help my question. In the installation folder there is an api directory. We are interested in creating an api that would allow other sites to connect with our site. This connection would allow profile and portfolio information to be shared with other sites, if the user allows this option. My question is could an api of this type be created with information in the api directory. API's are new to me and my partner so we're learning as we go. Maybe an API isn't the right method for this? We have noticed that many popular sites use this method to share their content with other sites. So, we though that would be the best route to go. Any feedback on this would be appreciated and thanks in advanced.

Account deleted

15 March 2010, 15:37

Hi,

We don't currently have a general purpose public API like rest or xmlrpc or soap.

We do have a specific API called MNet which is used to communicate with Moodle.  It's probably possible to exnted MNet to do what you want, but you'd need to implement the protocol in whatever application(s) you're trying to integrate.

It's an encrypted (with openssl), xmlrpc communication protocol. There is a standalone php library for it here:   http://code.google.com/p/mnet-lib/

Account deleted

15 March 2010, 15:48

Penny,

That's what I thought when looking through the api folder. I just wanted to be sure though.  I haven't worked alot with api's so, we have contracts with outside developers who are working on this for us. Thanks for your insight on this.

3 results