Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Mahara: Site Unavailable Error

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

06 January 2010, 3:05

When installing Mahara i get the following messaage:

Your defined data root directory, /maharadata/, is not writable. This means that neither session data, user files nor anything else that needs to be uploaded can be saved on your server. Please make the directory if it does not exist, or give ownership of the directory to the web server user if it does.

I have created a directory at the root location and have given it permissions by setting the folder to 777. How does one complete the install given this problem. Assistance is much appreciated.

Heinz Krettek's profile picture

18 January 2010, 10:57

Hi please check your setting in the config file.

Here is my example install

/maharadata

/public_html

/public_html/mahara

in my config.php file is a line with 

$cfg->dataroot = '/home/XXX/maharadata/'; 

HTH Heinz 

Account deleted

20 January 2010, 0:50

Greetings Heinz,

After placing my maharadata folder inside of another folder named mahara_community and then setting the permissions to 777, I recieve the sam message. Below is the code for the dataroot path that I used: 

$cfg->dataroot = '/mahara_community/maharadata

Any other suggestions; and, thanks for the assistance

Heinz Krettek's profile picture

20 January 2010, 4:16

Hi,

(I just noticed that I have written posting nr. 300 before this posting Laughing)

The maharadata folder must be outside of the mahara_community folder.

HTH Heinz

Account deleted

20 January 2010, 4:19

Hi Norm.

The path of the dataroot directory must be an absolute path. if there are another directories up your dataroot, these must be included too.
And the directory permission 777 must be for all directories and files under dataroot directory. In linux you can make this with an
chmod -R 777 yourdataroot

Cheers

Account deleted

27 January 2010, 0:05

Firstly, thanks for everyones help. The first problem appears to be fixed. I no longer receive the aforementioned message; however, I am unable to get to the Mahara installation page. To make sure I am in the right directory, can someone verify (for me) the installation directory (or address) holding the installation files. The directory that I am using is www.myaddress.com/mahara/htdocs/admin/index.php. I get a HTTP 500 error cannot display page; Note: I hve completely removed the .htaccess file. Any suggestion?

Thanks again!

6 results