Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Spell checker

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

02 December 2009, 12:49

Hi - Has anyone come up with an improved way to integrate the spell checker into the wysiwyg tinyMCE editor that Mahara uses for editing content blocks?  I'm not sure if asking all students to manually download and install a spell checker is ideal, and it doesn't seem to be supported in Firefox either :( 

Thanks,

John

Account deleted

03 December 2009, 13:19

I've been planning to try this plugin for tinyMCE ... which would eliminate the need for users to do a download ... but I haven't tested it yet:

http://wiki.moxiecode.com/index.php/TinyMCE:Plugins/spellchecker 

Account deleted

03 December 2009, 17:48

Thanks Ray. That sounds promising - we'll have to check it out.

If anyone else has any experiences with improved spellcheckers for Mahara, please let us know also!

Thanks again,

John

Account deleted

08 December 2009, 17:15

I tried implementing this today and it shows tremendous promise because it can work with the PHP spell module or Google ... BUT ... it calls a number of tinyMCE functions that don't exist in the Mahara 1.1.7 version of tinyMCE (version 2.1.2)!

Mahara 1.2 has integrated the updated tinyMCE (I think 3.2.7 is the latest) ... so this spell check module should work with Mahara 1.2 with very minimal effort (maybe an 1/2 hour) ... but it's a problem for anything prior.

I was tempted to drop in the latest tinyMCE into my v1.1.7 of Mahara ... but not being certain of the effort or potential complications ... I'll probably just postpone dropping in the spellchecker when I update my code base to 1.2 sometime next year. 

Gordon McLeod's profile picture

30 July 2010, 9:39

Hi,

Just tried to get the plugin from the link above, but got a permissions error. We're on Mahara 1.2, but presumably this plugin isn't part of the core as I'm getting prompted to install ieSpellchecker. Ideally want to avoid users downloading and installing (IT won't allow that anyway) - also noticed the same issue with firefox - was scratching my head for ages trying to figure out where the spellcheck icon was supposed to be until i went back in using IE.

Could you point me in the direction of the latest version of the plugin (with installation instructions)?

Thanks, Gordon.

5 results