Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Language pack doesn't seem to work

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

01 November 2009, 17:26

On http://elearning.hvo.nl/mahara I have installed Mahara. I have downloaded the language pack Dutch and placed in the directory /maharadata/langpacks. (This dir is places outsite the html dir, in fact directly in the root)

As admin I could see than that Dutch was submitted and I changed it to the default language. But it still keeps English and I do not see Dutch phrases ... Probably I did something wrong.

Account deleted

01 November 2009, 20:56

Hi - the content of the homepage, and about/terms/privacy pages, etc, are set in the Admin section, under Edit Site Pages. When you change language pack, that doesn't change the content of those pages. You'll have to change them yourself for now. We did have the idea of making those pages support multiple languages, though I think in time that we will choose to convert them into Views - much more interesting that way Wink

Interesting about the way that the dropdown on the homepage to switch the language reverts back to "site default" instead of switching to Dutch when I try it. That smells like a bug, but I don't recall us having this problem before - what version of Mahara are you using, and where did you get the language pack from? 

Account deleted

02 November 2009, 5:31

HI Nigel,

I have use the Dutch language pack available from http://wiki.mahara.org/Download_Mahara. I'm using Mahara version 1.1.6 (2009022617).

And the about/terms.privacy pages: I can change the text inside them, but not the titles in the menu.

Account deleted

04 November 2009, 17:37

Some language strings are provided by plugins, in particular, artefact plugins. There's not just a lang/en.utf8 directory, there's also artefact/file/lang/en.utf8 for example - and those plugins provide many of the menu items.

Having said that, the dutch language pack should be fine - I just had another look at it in the repository and it has translation files for the plugins too. So I'm a bit confused about what can be wrong exactly Frown

Can you post a screenshot showing the broken strings? That might give more clues. 

Account deleted

05 November 2009, 3:19

Hi Nigel,

I will first remove the Dutch installation and reinstall it again. If that won't solve the problem I will send some screenshots.

Thanks again. Jaap

Account deleted

05 November 2009, 12:02

I have deleted the language pack and uploaded a new version. I took the Dutch lang version from http://wiki.mahara.org/Download_Mahara#Language_Packs.

The only Dutch text I see is in the HTML editor: e.g. Font family is called Lettertype.

Could it be caused by the permissions of the folders? nl.utf8 and all the sub directories have 775.

I add a screenshot from my Settings page. As you can see it is still in English.

preferences profile mahara

Account deleted

05 November 2009, 16:43

Hm, well that's very strange. Those permissions are perfect, so shouldn't be preventing anything. What about the permissions and ownership of the files? 

Account deleted

06 November 2009, 4:36

I have changed the permissions of all the files from 664 to 775. Still it's not working Cry

Shall I give you access to the site, so you can see what the problem could be?? If yes, can I mail you the login?

Account deleted

06 November 2009, 5:05

I have written a short manual for installing the language pack. You can download it from manual-installing-language-pack-Mahara-20091105.odt.

Any comments are welcome. If you think it is useful for people it can be placed in the wiki.

Account deleted

06 November 2009, 6:38

Sorry,  I forgot to put the full web address my last post where the manual can be downloaded from. That is http://www.2useit.nl/klanten/mahara

14 results