Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Mahara UI mockups - Notifications

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

19 August 2009, 22:30

Hi guys,

I've started mocking up some possible UI improvements to Maharas interface.  I'm beginning with the Notifications page as I think its hidden away under Settings->Notifications, and am proposing that it become a first class citizen in the menu next to Profile, and My Portfolio.

Here are a couple of mockups where I've swapped the notification type combo box for vertical tabs and added some gmail-style elements for selecting messages:

Firstly with a new message link above the notification type tabs, or below with the button above the message list, displacing the 'mark as read' and 'delete' buttons to the right:

What do people think? I'm keen to get some feedback here so we can get some UI work under way.

Cheers,

Elliot

Account deleted

19 August 2009, 22:49

Your photos aren't displaying at all.
Account deleted

19 August 2009, 22:58

Fixed.

Incidentally, here is the xml required to import the mockup into Balsalmiq: http://paste.dollyfish.net.nz/5fbdb1

The Balsalmiq demo can be used here: http://www.balsamiq.com/demos/mockups/Mockups.html

Account deleted

19 August 2009, 23:06

Yes, that would be a huge improvement over the current system.
Account deleted

19 August 2009, 23:15

Hi,

I think this looks good, and light years ahead of the current system. Some thoughts:

• We're going to be futzing with the menu system after 1.2, so where it moves to is probably not going to be relevant until we see how that shapes up
  • Where does pagination go?
  • Any thoughts about how the 'new message' page would look? Including any sneaky ideas of how to make it easy for people to select other users (and even groups) to send messages to? 

Account deleted

19 August 2009, 23:20

Pagination could be top right (gmail style), or stay in the same place as now (at the bottom).

I'm anticipating a javascripty autocomplete field, or for the non-js, a search box and add button.  Will mockup when I get a chance later...

Account deleted

19 August 2009, 23:47

Oh I see - the pagination is the "1" down the bottom Smile
Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

20 August 2009, 1:48

Not quite, Nigel. It's the 1-2 of 2 in the top right-hand corner. It seems as if you can do a series of mockups in Balsamiq and thus the bottom "1" was just the first page in such a mockup series.
Account deleted

20 August 2009, 2:38

Aha. Depending on how many results per page, there might need to be controls down the bottom of the listing too, then. But that level of detail can probably wait for now.
Account deleted

20 August 2009, 0:25

Elliot, they look awesome! :)

I slighty prefer the second one, "new message" in the first, as a link rather than tabby or buttoney  is a bit inconsistent to me.

15 results